5 Tips every woman should follow:
- Paint with all the colors. The simplest way to make an outfit look different or polished is to add a belt in a different color. The general rule is to match your belt to your shoes, but you can also wear a belt in an unexpected color, such as red or royal blue, with a casual outfit.
- Figure out a fit. The length of the belt you purchase depends on how you plan to wear it. If you are looking for a belt to wear beneath your bust line, pick a style that is short or has plenty of notches so you can cinch it in. If you'd like a belt to wear around your waist, be sure it is long enough to wrap around your waist. Belts that are slung low on the hips should be long and flexible.
- Keep your body type in mind. If you're heavy or pear-shaped, avoid wearing low-slung belts; they will draw attention to your hips and bottom. Instead, try a wide belt around your natural waist or just above it. If you have a large bust, avoid corset belts worn right beneath the bust and choose belts that draw attention away from your upper body. To add curves to a slender frame, choose a belt in a vibrant color and wear it on your natural waistline. Keep in mind that just as with clothes, belts in lighter colors will make you look wider, while belts in dark shades, such as chocolate, navy blue and black, will have a slimming effect.
- Select your favorite styles. Belts come in all different kinds of widths, colors, patterns, fabrics and materials. If you are overwhelmed by the selection of belts, think of a favorite outfit and find a belt to complement it. A loose, fluttery fabric like chiffon looks great with a wide belt in either brown or black, while double-buckle belts and corset belts pull your stomach in and look great with most fabrics because they give the illusion of an hourglass figure.
- Make your belt a focal point. If you're really daring, choose a belt that will define your entire outfit. The easiest way to do this is to wear a monochromatic ensemble and wear your belt around your natural waistline or your hips. Belts with intricate buckles, beautiful fabrics or bold colors will make a fashion statement
Belts can be a great fashion accessory when trying to dress slimmer or tie an outfit together. Wearing a belt with a nice buckle lower on your hips will draw eyes to the belt and elongate the look of your body, especially if the belt blends with the color of your clothing. Matching the belt color to other colors in your outfit can also tie all the aspects of a multi-colored look together.